With the royal charter handed over to Gradec by King Bela IV in 1242, called the “Golden Bull”, Gradec became a “free royal city” with citizens having the power to elect their Mayor, among other rights. They built defensive walls to protect themselves from any other invasions. These fortification walls built between 1242 and 1261 gave Gradec it appearance which can be seen from Gornji Grad hill.
There were four main gates that led to Gradec: the Mesnička Gate in the west, Opatička Gate in the north, Dverce in the south and the Stone Gate in the east. Of these the Stone Gate is the best preserved.
The main nucleus of Gradec / Gornji Grad is the St. Mark’s square which included the St. Mark's Church. The Barque bell tower was added much later to the church.
On the northwest walls of the Church is positioned the oldest coat of arms of Zagreb with the year 1499 etched on it.
The City Hall of the medieval times was situated on present day Čirilometodska Street, which was the seat of city administration. After many alternations and reconstructions, this City Hall is still used by the City Council for meetings.
The appearance of Vlaska Street in medieval times is not much known of. In present day VIaska Street, in olden times were situated the archbishop’s residence and gardens. The old row of houses dating from the 18th and 19th century, show the route of the old roads.